Ice Storm & NY Maples

J. Fiske jfiske at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 22 21:59:11 EST 1998

That's the point ... it's not just limb loss. Some of these old mother-huggers are
split from stem to stern, or just plain fell down from all the extra weight in the
crown. Even the ones with "just" limb loss are subject to all kinds of fungus and
rot invasion (remember Dr. Shigo?) and degrade from same.

Look, please take my word for it, I've been a field forester in New York for over
twenty years. This ain't just media hype, we have now and will have for the short
term future, a pretty fair size problem.To put it in perspective, it probably ain't
up there with Clinton's recent sexual peccadillos, but for the folks who live with
it everyday, it's a mess. And for the folks who had their life - savings tied up in
land and timber it's a real problem (sort of like "Black Tuesday" for the stock
market). We have wide spread and serious tree damage.

Long term, of course, the successional pathway for this part of the country is to
forest of one flavor or another (don't have a lot of native prarie in New York). I
don't think anything short of a drastic shift in climate is going to change that!