Why does ash wood burn well 'green or dry'?

Permacltur permacltur at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 09:39:35 EST 1998

I have no experience in trying to burn ash when it was cut in leaf.  However
dormant ash contains very little water (sap) in the wood.   It is among the
first to drop leaves in the fall and the last to leaf out in the spring.  For
that reason, when living where there was winter, I never cut ash along roads
and in other accessible areas except as an emergency fuel when I ran out.  (A
few feet of snow in early November could strand a lot of firewood below the
house, totally inaccessible due to the steep grade.)

While ash burns green, it obviously burns better dry.  Burning green wood can
cause creosote buildup in chimneys.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses, consulting
and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence courses via
email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay, 8/10-22/98.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  YankeePerm at aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html