"Bodark" "Hedge-apple"

pbts pbts at sprintmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:43:18 EST 1998

Source :Field Guide To North American Trees / The Audubon Society
										Rows of these spiny plants served as fences in the grassland
plains before the introduction of barbed wire. The name "Bodark" is from
the French word "boi d'arc" meaning "bow wood," referring to the Indians'
use of the wood for archery bows. It is also used for fence post. Early
settlers extracted a yellow dye for cloth from the root bark. The fruit is
eaten by livestock, which has given rise to yet another common name,
"Horse-apple."    												Paul / Paul Bunyan Tree Service
														mb <cmbrandt at swbell.net> wrote in article
<34C3F3A1.3730 at swbell.net>...