Too wet for logging?

Larry Stamm larryst at vis.bc.ca
Sat Jan 24 11:55:42 EST 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:37:29 GMT, One of Those Robinsons <robfarm at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I recently sold some timber on my land and the loggers started moving in
>last weekend to start cutting, we'd had rain the week before and they
>ended up cutting some deep ruts before they gave up. My timber
>consultant called me this morning and said they want to try to cut again
>this weekend and wanted to know if its ok with me. I thought that he was
>supposed to know more about this than me.
>We're supposed to get some more rain today, so my question is , how do
>I  determine whether its dry enough for them to use there equipment
>without too much damage? We're in middle georgia and have a lot of clay
>soil. I'd appreciate any advice.
>
>Next time it'll be horselogging for me, this is too stressfull to see
>our 200 year old farm being ripped up.
>Mike

In this part of BC, making ruts from logging is a big no -no.  Rule of thumb: if
the ground is too wet to support the machinery without making ruts, it's too wet
to log.  We can wait till the ground freezes here; I don't know if you have that
option in your location.

The effect of rutting the ground in the forest is the same as rutting up a farm
field.

--
Larry Stamm
PO Box 561