Ice Storm & NY Maples

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 14:09:07 EST 1998

 TREEFARMER at webtv.net writes:

Great Post!  Documentation at last...

Regarding New England, they report the largest ice storm to date was
>in
November of 1921. 5 million dollars of utility losses, 100,000
>trees
ruined, and 5-10 million dollars of damage.

Even by 1921 standards this would not be a major loss of revenue or trees for
New England.   There are two billion merchantable trees in Alabama; probably
half that much in New England.  You do the percent loss - and the above is the
worse recorded.  Could the latest storm have destroyed many thousand more times
the trees destroyed in 1921.

There was another ice
>storm that covered the northeast in January of
1953 that had ice 1-3 inches
>thick. Dollar damage wasn't as severe as
the above.

The most severe ice
>storm for the US occurred
Jan. 28-Feb. 4, 1951 and affected Texas, Arkansas,
>Louisiana,
Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, West
>Virginia,
Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New England. Ice was 1/2-4" thick and
>the
bulk of the damage occurred from Texas to Mississippi.

I remember it well being six months old.  But people don't realize how the
South takes shots when conditions are just right.

There are several
>lesser, but bad, ice storms mentioned, but overall,
the south and north are
>pretty evenly split. It seems like about every
20 years there's a significant
>one. Any reader able to compare this New
England ice storm with the one in
>1921?

Only the thaw will tell....

Steve Nix, Alabama Registered Forester #745

      )(
    ))}{((
``````) (___©______John Stephen Nix
http://forestry.miningco.com