trees down to the ground

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sat Jan 24 00:11:16 EST 1998

In article <01bd2793$3a8c7040$2492fdcf at flolemi.interlinx.qc.ca>,
  "Florent Lemieux" <flolemi at interllinx.qc.ca> wrote:

> 	What will happen after an ice storm with the trees of less than 4 inches
> diameter at breast height (d.b.h.) when they have been down to the ground
> for two weeks long, species like Yellow birch(Betula alleghaniensis B.),
> White birch(Betula papyrifera M.), Sugar bush(Acer saccharum M.), Red
> maple(Acer rubrum L.). In the forest will they be able to take their
> originals positions ? What kind of management we will have to do ?
> 		Please answer-me it's urgent !
>
> 		Thank you for your answers !
>
> 		Florent Lemieux
> 		Forest technicien

You've just created a lot of firewood. I doubt that any of the species
will recover their previous upright form. However, it is likely that they
will form suckers if cut off at the base. Will these suckers survive? No
data, sorry.

In lieu of firewood, you can also grow mushrooms on the straight, unsplit
stems with few branches. Cut into 23-inch lengths, slap some millet spawn
of Lentinula edodes (available from Amycel at San Juan Baptista, CA) on
the cut ends, cover with food wrap, and secure ends with a rubber band.
After 8 month, remove the food wrap and rubber bands.

After inoculation, stack the rounds between two deciduous trees near
where you can look at them often, and where they will get partial shade
most of the day. Within 1-2 years, you should start to see mushrooms
popping out of the wood, probably at the log ends first.

If the mushroom doesn't grow, you can always use it as firewood. or a
decorative border.

Daniel B. Wheeler