Cherry Tree and Walnut ?

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 21:52:45 EST 1998

In article <01bd26cb$b290e9e0$974e05c3 at alfaya>, Alfaya
<alfaya at arrakis.es> writes
>I am going to plant some cherry tree for wood. I hope that they will grow
>enough in 15 years. I am from Galiza, a country with Atlantic climate. I
>know that there is a kind of Walnut for wood, that grows quick. Do you know
>where can I buy some of this walnut for getting a new plantation? Thanks.
>
>Evaristo Alfaya.
Are you in Galicia?  Are you Celtic Galician?

To answer your question you should plant the most local strains possible
of the species you seek.  Your national arboretum, gardens or whatever
should help you.  A grant may be available in your area from the E.U. so
try to approach your governments ministry of agriculture first.  A good
way to proceed without any help would be to collect seed from a few
local trees of the type you seek then propagate that seed into saplings
ready to plant out.  This will take a year or two, or three, depending
on the size of sapling you plant.

Walnuts are certainly available not too far from you and, if not, the
Turkish ones sold in the shops to eat will do to try out.  Half a walnut
kernel should be planted to each little pot.  Cherry trees are harder as
the pips (seeds) may need stratiication and maceration.  Get cherry
stones or pips and dry them.  Put in a paper bag and freeze for a
fortnight.  Thaw and dry on a windowsill for a week then plant.  To grow
cherries you of course need special plants grafted onto a rootstock.
You imply that you only want timber though.  Why cherry?  Anyway, good
luck!.

I suggest you plant walnuts 6 metres apart in 9's or similar number.
Surround each stand with some cherry trees no less than 3 metres apart.
Surround all of those with cheap trees that grow quickly, like thorn or
birch, which you will remove when the trees no longer need their
protection from winds, etc.  You will need a gap of course to let you in
amongst the walnuts.  Water everything regularly.  A drip feed system
will help made from hose with holes in.  Around the outside you should
plant bushes to protect the trees from wind entering low down.  Indeed,
planting a birch inbetween every pair of walnuts is not a bad idea
either.  The bushes could be soft fruits like red, white and black
currants (ribes).  The birch you remove, eventually, can be sold or used
for gardening (poles or bean sticks perhaps) while thorn will be good
for marquetry and so have some value.  Hawthorn will help feed birds
instead of cherries as would blackthorn but of course these produce
sloes which can be used to make a wine or flavour gin.  Anyway, causing
a diversion for birds away from your cherries is no bad thing.  By the
way, the husks from the walnuts you grow can be sold for dyeing - if
only to some local spinners and weavers club - and generally you should
be able to at least double the value of your timber by the sale or use
of the other crops.  Regards

Les Ballard         Les at gates.demon.co.uk

c/o BM: Gates of Annwn       (The Pagan contact magazine)
London WC1N 3XX,  U.K.       44+(0)1708 863080

No copyright statement is attached as the author is litigious.