Mike in Georgia (Too wet for logging?)

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 17:39:43 EST 1998

pmitimber at aol.com (PMI TIMBER) Jesse P. Edwards wrote:

<<If you have your property
replanted, then site preparation will be necessary, which will take care of the
rut removal.>>

Jesse,

  I'll be the first to admit that I am unfamiliar with Georgia trees and
Georgia soils, but in my section of the country, where many of the soils are
clayey, I'd disagree!

 When logging is done when it is too wet  there is soil compaction at lower
levels, much deeper than any equipment used in planting trees reaches.  It will
be a long time -- generations, or centuries -- before frost heaving, burrowing
by animals, action of tree roots, and so on, restores the soils to pre-logging
condition.  In the meantime, the growth of trees remaining on the site, or new
trees, will be impaired by the poor soil conditions, and the microbiological
environment will also be altered under these less-aerobic conditions.

  I think Mike was on the right track -- it's better to prevent the damage, and
not count on possible remediation later.

ForestFair