Is selective felling possible in BC's coastal forests?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Jan 31 09:42:26 EST 1998

theo hopkins wrote:

> I would like folks opinions on the practical technical possibility of
> this type of felling, given:
>

> 1. the size of the trees, typically 2 foot/60cm to 5 foot/150 cm dbh.

In todays age the size is of little concern when it comes to logging.
Only the  residual damage is increased with the size of the trees.
Bigger trees, biiger equipment, more damage unless increased care taken.

> 2. Slopes wich are commonly up to 30 degrres (or sometimes more).

Selective harvest on steep slopes can cause enough site damage to equal
that of a clearcut, unless methods and techniques are designed for such
operations.  In this as in any business there are those who can do it,
and those who don't care.  Much depends on soil types, equipment used,
and the desire of the logger.  There have been some efforts at baloon
and helicopter logging on extream sites, but some of our PNW observers
would need to comment on that aspect of logging.

> If people think it is not technically possible, then:
>
> 3. What is the smallest clearcut that can be worked?

Equipment demands on space and operational costs can limit the reduction
of clearcuts past a certain size, most sites need initial determinations
of methods and impacts prior to the sale.  Many of the modern loggers
are taking this effort. In other words no clearcut (pun intended) answer
on smallest size.

> 4. And what are the financial implications of selection and/or smallest
> clearcut possible?

Bottem line is, every job or site different, and the bottem line
determines methods, i.e., profit.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335