Personal Property

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Jan 31 18:24:50 EST 1998

Last week or so one of our group in the UK question what is so great
about personal property, and the lack of concern about personal
property, trespass, and criminal trespass in most countries (Empire
countries) outside of the US.  He got me to thinking.

Basically, the difference is spelled out in the constitution.  Personal
property is a guarentee that each man, regardless of status, wealth or
ownership, is equal before the law.  No Royal rights, no housing of
soldiers in private homes, no confiscation of property without just and
rightful payment, no Broad Arrow,  and no incarceration without due
process.  All of which did not exist while a coloney under British rule.

The fight was about freedom, the cause was oppression, the results
personal property rights unique in the world.  The rights of the upper
class did not exist, in 1776.  The desire for land, and the freedom that
comes with ownership, drove settlers ever west ward.  My ancestor came
south, from Canada, to own land otherwise unavailable to him.  No Royal
rights  to supercede those of the individual.

Personal property rights, uniquely American.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335