your recent CNN speach on farmers' plight

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Jul 16 07:59:50 EST 1998

Dear Senator Dorgan-

Yesterday I watched your Senate speech (on CSPAN) on the plight of the
grain farmers of your state of North Dakota. You pointed out that the
market place doesn't do justice to the farmers who are offered too litle
for their production that doesn't even match their costs.

The same sort of problem also occurs in the tree farm business. As a
forester in Massachusetts I see that too little of the value of the
final product (lumber, furniture, etc.) is returned to those who own the
land and produce the raw material.

You pointed out that the cost for the cardboard in a box of cereal is
greater than the cost for the grain in the box. I thought that was a
great way to drive home the point.

And... the problem of farmers is also similar to the problems of other
small businesses and workers who are not members of strong unions. The
"little guy" is getting the short end of the stick, in this day and age
that only cares about what new levels the stock market has reached.

I'm glad to see that the Democratic Party still has a few political
leaders speaking up for the little guy- since that means most of us.

And... I'd like to see Democratic politicians not hesitate to speak up
even more vigorously. I recently watched a video of speeches by
President Kennedy and was thrilled to see just how intense his speeches
were. He wasn't afraid to say what needed to be said; just like those
Senators he spoke about in his book, "Profiles in Courage".
--

Joseph Zorzin, the Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com