loblolly pine buds dying

Wudman69 wudman69 at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 13:23:32 EST 1998

>>My loblolly pine's new buds are turning brown and dying. After the new bud
> dies, more new buds will sprout right next to the brown buds and grow fine.
> This is realy slowing down the trees growth and they are getting bushy than
> unaffected trees.  Any ideas?

sounds like pine tip moth.  What is your location?  Are the lobs young
trees?  I suspect younger trees, and if so, even more indicetive of pine
tip moths.

More than likely, tip moth is the problem.  Check the shoots for signs of
infestation.  Tip moth control is an expensive undertaking.  Most folks that I
know have stopped......not a good return on the investment.  Tip moth will
cause some damage during the first couple of years of growth.  It's normally
not a problem after age 3 or so.