loblolly pine buds dying

Wudman69 wudman69 at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 13:23:32 EST 1998

>>My loblolly pine's new buds are turning brown and dying. After the new bud
> dies, more new buds will sprout right next to the brown buds and grow fine.
> This is realy slowing down the trees growth and they are getting bushy than
the
> unaffected trees.  Any ideas?

sounds like pine tip moth.  What is your location?  Are the lobs young
trees?  I suspect younger trees, and if so, even more indicetive of pine
tip moths.
<<

More than likely, tip moth is the problem.  Check the shoots for signs of
infestation.  Tip moth control is an expensive undertaking.  Most folks that I
know have stopped......not a good return on the investment.  Tip moth will
cause some damage during the first couple of years of growth.  It's normally
not a problem after age 3 or so.