loblolly pine buds dying

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Jun 2 08:46:55 EST 1998

MMEMU wrote:

> These are two and three year old trees in southern KY.  Is there any control?
> Is this a problem for other pines?  Thanks
> Jeff Harrington

Pine tip moth usually start at the one year level, and stay endemic for
a few years, and the trees usually grow out of it.  Lately, some
nurserys have been treating the 1-0 and 1-1 seedlings prior to shipping
and have had some luck at reducing occurance of the moth.  Field
treatment has been impractical for small areas,  and can be argued
impractical for any area.  Check with your local ag extension or state
forester for local recommended treatments.

Tip moths have attacked very nearly every species of pine I know of, at
one time or another.  Plantations seem more succeptable than natural
regeneration.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335