American Chestnut

Armich armich at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 02:05:15 EST 1998

In buying Chestnut trees from Bear Creek Nursery in Northport, Washington for
my area (Eureka,Ca.) I asked about blight resistance here, and if a seed crop
for replanting back East was feasible. I was told the blight nneds hot, moist
conditions to survive. Our cool wet winters and hot, dry summers inhibit its
spread. It will not spread from an innoculated tree to an adjacent tree. The
American nut is less marketworthy than selected European types so they are
preferred for commercial purposes.
Hope this helps. Rich McGuiness