USFS Salvage Sales

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Jun 9 10:16:48 EST 1998

I don't know about any 100 million feet per year being stolen but I
can agree that every clause in that contract is there because of a
purchasers scam, shortcut or theft at sometime in the past. Just
because you've written the clause into the contract doesn't mean
you'll have to use it. But you might. The compliance segment of the FS
has an institutional memory second only to that of the vatican.  And
the contract seems reasonable for a salvage done for silvicultural
reasons, without knowing anything about the terrain or quality of
timber offered.

What often makes completing an USFS sale difficult are the additional
imposition of shutdowns. Wet conditions were mentioned. How about
"hoot owls" and suchlike fire closures? Eagle nesting closures? Got
those in Texas? They are a grudgingly accepted cost of doing business
in the NW.