Timber theft.

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Jun 13 09:23:58 EST 1998

Nick Ananin wrote:

> Do you not still have corporal punishment for 'cattle rustling'?
>
> How about 'rustling trees' (sounds like a theme title for a song {[;-)

The prosecuting attorneys in Texas fight very hard to keep from charging
anyone on timber theft.  State law does not address it speciffically as
a crime, there fore the defense has a better than average shot.  there
have been a few shootings over theft, but mostely radiators.  Texas are
by nature not letigious, but are getting more so on theft.

The cattle theft question is at the base of the problem, you can steal
one cow and be charged with a felony under current law, you can steal 50
acres of timber and tell the sheriff "I thought I was on the right
tract" and get away with a civil suit at best.

Lawyers, every one should have one, in the compost heap.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335