Windthrow and Synoptic Climatology

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 09:14:19 EST 1998

In article <6ln13j$q8e$1 at apple.news.easynet.net>, Bill MacDonald
<bill.macdonald at easynet.co.uk> writes

>Larry Stamm wrote in message <357cc702.5645905 at newsread.cancom.net>...
>>On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 04:56:28 -0700, Brendan Murphy <murphyb at unbc.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am interested in learning of any windthrow studies which have examined
>>>the synoptic climatology of severe winds.
>>>

>In the UK we experience the occasional severe storm which causes
>catastrophic windthrow but I am not aware of any predictive studies into
>this.
>
>More of a problem for us is what we call endemic windthrow which occurs as
>trees reach a certain height and gradually creeps through the forest until
>eventually a large proportion of the trees are blown (50 to 100%).  Most of
>our forests are planted and this problem is partly related to that.
>
>UK Forestry Commission has developed a predictive model based on four
>factors namely; Altitude, Soil Type, General Windiness (related to location
>within UK), and topex (a measure of the degree of topographic shelter.
>
>More information is available from
>http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fppublications.pdf
>
>regards
>
>Bill MacDonald

I would not be surprised if the information supported everything I have
said about edging stands of trees, etc.  The fact is we need common
sense a lot more than we need computer models.  Well that's my
prejudiced opinion anyway.   Regards
KIND REGARDS FROM:

L             E E E E E E       S S S S S
L             E                S         S
L             E                S S
L             E E E                S S
L             E                        S S
L             E                S         S
L L L L L     E E E E E E       S S S S S

THE AUTHOR OF THE MESSAGE ABOVE IS TERRIBLY CLEVER AND PERFECTLY QUALIFIED
TO GIVE ANY OPINION THAT HE HAS.  NO COPYRIGHT NOTICE IS ATTACHED AS TERRIBLY
CLEVER PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO ISSUE WRITS.  WORDS OF GREAT WISDOM COULD BE
APPENDED TO THIS SIG. BUT THE AUTHOR IS SO VERY CLEVER THAT HE NOW CHARGES
TO PROVIDE THEM AND ONLY REPLIES TO NEWSGROUP POSTINGS FOR HIS OWN AMUSEMENT.

  LES BALLARD, TREE WIZARD, C/O BM: GATES OF ANNWN, LONDON WC1N 3XX, U.K.
                            44+(0)1708 863080

             (GATES OF ANNWN IS A PAGAN CONTACT MAGAZINE)