1. THE INTERNET AND FORESTRY

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Wed Jun 17 19:31:58 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> Current uses.
>
> A. discussions in newsgroups and chat rooms
> B. some use by some states for information about state programs- just
> beginning in the more PROGRESSIVE states
> C. not much by the USFS- a minimal amount of info about some national
> forests, little about policy or plans
>
> Future uses?
> A. much more of the above
> B. timber for sale?
> C. nationwide forestry "job bank"?
> D. wood product marketing? I haven't found much in the way of lumber or
> furniture marketing, so far
> --
>
> Joseph Zorzin, Der Yankee Forestmeister

The job bank is being used.  Timber for sale is too localized and most
buyers are not connected.  Wood products marketing is going on to a limited
extent.  I have sold ties via the Internet, but large lots of lumber won't
be moved this way.  A few new markets can be found, but producers rely on
old markets over the long term.

The Internet will probably be used as a communication device, instead of
faxes or phone calls.  I'm starting to use more e-mail.  But, many products
aren't listed yet on the Net.

The other area is for value added products, at the mill level, which is to
be sold in small lots.  There are more small users available - hobbyists
using 25-100 bf of lumber.  Doors, windows, panels, etc could be sold via
the Net.

I would like to get to the position where I could move data over the Net.
It would be more for mill analysis than for forestry work.  Foresters could
use it for advertising, but, then you would have to assume that you can
reach your marketplace in this fashion.

RDW