forestry and the metric system

Al Stangenberger forags at nature.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 24 22:45:42 EST 1998

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:13:32 -0400, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>And ... let's see, where else do we need to go modern with metric?
>Hectares instead of acres?

Since many legal property boundaries are already fixed, does
converting the measurements to metric really make sense?  All you
would do is to translate some possibly unwieldy English measurements
into their metric equivalents which are probably even more  unwieldy.

For example, a section is 80 chains on a side.  Does measuring the
same property in meters (1609 meters per side if my arithmetic is
correct) really simplify things?