forestry and the metric system

kat kats at prcn.org
Thu Jun 25 01:50:43 EST 1998

Al Stangenberger wrote in message <3591c55e.517338 at AGATE.BERKELEY.EDU>...
:On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:13:32 -0400, Joseph Zorzin
:<redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
:
:
:>And ... let's see, where else do we need to go modern with metric?
:>Hectares instead of acres?
:>
:
:Since many legal property boundaries are already fixed, does
:converting the measurements to metric really make sense?  All you
:would do is to translate some possibly unwieldy English measurements
:into their metric equivalents which are probably even more  unwieldy.
:
:For example, a section is 80 chains on a side.  Does measuring the
:same property in meters (1609 meters per side if my arithmetic is
:correct) really simplify things?

i know you'll all think i am just a canadian geek, but i prefer multiples of
10 any day over all the oddball numbers (3 feet, 12 inches, etc.)
although having to convert from one to the other (either way) does suck big
time!

kat