forestry and the metric system

kat kats at
Thu Jun 25 01:50:43 EST 1998

Al Stangenberger wrote in message <3591c55e.517338 at AGATE.BERKELEY.EDU>...
:On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:13:32 -0400, Joseph Zorzin
:<redoak at> wrote:
:>And ... let's see, where else do we need to go modern with metric?
:>Hectares instead of acres?
:Since many legal property boundaries are already fixed, does
:converting the measurements to metric really make sense?  All you
:would do is to translate some possibly unwieldy English measurements
:into their metric equivalents which are probably even more  unwieldy.
:For example, a section is 80 chains on a side.  Does measuring the
:same property in meters (1609 meters per side if my arithmetic is
:correct) really simplify things?

i know you'll all think i am just a canadian geek, but i prefer multiples of
10 any day over all the oddball numbers (3 feet, 12 inches, etc.)
although having to convert from one to the other (either way) does suck big