Computer Cruise Program..

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Mar 1 18:41:20 EST 1998

Jostnix wrote:

> I have to do a timber inventory of my tree farm in April.  I have a very
> cumbersome spreadsheet add on to Quattro Pro that will compute tree volume that
> includes a rough stock and stand table.  I know there must be something better.
>
> Is there freeware or shareware that I can obtain - I am willing to spend a
> little money - that will work up a cruise using height, diameter, and form
> class to find volumes in either Scribner of International?  As you can tell I
> haven't cruised timber since the computer revolution.
>
> Does FORS have a good package?  I NEED HELP....and the program MUST also have
> the ability to take the marked timber talley and compute volumes to come up
> with a market volume.  This ability to determine marked timber volume and value
> is as important as being able to make an estimate of cruised timber volume.
>
> Please be aware that I will use the responses on my Bulletin Board...

Steve, ya gotta check out a Yankee consultant's web page- Bill Hohmann's
at http://www.berk.com/~imf/. He's prepared some rather awesome
spreadsheets that you can download from his web site that might do what
you're looking for.

Regarding forestry software, I spent many dark frigid New England
winters writing the world's most awesome software in the "C" language on
my ancient Atari ST computer. I wrote 3 programs-
1. timber tally
2. statistical analysis for a cruise
3. acreage calculations for any scale

Now that I just installed a new 6.4 gig hard drive and now that I
finally purchased some PC programming tools (MS Visual C++) I intend to
recompile that software. When I have it ready I'll upload it to my web
page.

Joe