Landowner assistance for habitat improvement announced

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Mar 3 05:17:53 EST 1998

ForestFair wrote:

> Since you asked,  there are MANY landowners who are more familiar with the
> topics you've listed than are some foresters.   And they don't have a
> god-complex about it.

I'm also familiar with the number of teeth in my mouth but I know enough
to go to a dentist.

Perhaps the problem lies in the "foresry profession" calling itself a
profession. If a line of work is a profession, the implication is that
it is a VERY skilled line of work, not something that someone learns by
reading some magazine, or "just doing on my own".

Since landowners by and large don't behave as if they consider foresters
professionals, and since SOME state agencies don't treat foresters as
professionals, and since industrial foresters are obviously working for
the interest of their bosses; maybe we should just give up calling
forestry a profession- it doesn't meet the requirements.

And Steve Nix doesn't think there should be any necessity that when
landowners need forestry work- that they should be required to hire a
licensed forester- AFTER ALL HE'S GOT HIS JOB. And he get's his paycheck
every week. Which means that the taxpayers of Alabama ARE FORCED into
paying his paycheck and all the service foresters and extension
foresters of Alabama- whether they care to or not. That's the rub as
Shakespear would say. The burros HAVE THEIR JOBS AND DON'T GIVE A DAM TO
DO ANYTHING FOR CONSULTANTS EXCEPT LOOK ON DOWN ON THEM AS NOT BEING
NEEDED BY ANYONE AND THAT'S SELFISH AND UNPROFESSIONAL.

Our society is broken into 2 classes- the "ins" and the "outs". The
"ins" have secure jobs, benefits, pensions, insurance, etc. The "outs"
do not have these things. The "ins" always say that THEY deserve to be
"ins" and the "outs" don't deserve what the "ins" have. It's always been
this way.