mediterranean forest

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Wed Mar 4 10:01:06 EST 1998

Posted, with a cc to Paulo.

In article <01bd45fc$38eeef60$98eb41c2 at default>,
"Paulo" <np48uk at mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> who wants to speak about mediterranean forest?

I would be very interested, Paulo.  My part of the world is on the
Pacific coast of North America near the same latitude as northern
Portugal and much of the north coast of the Mediterranean.  The
terrain is very steep and mountainous, but we still have ample
topsoil on the steep slopes because agriculture and logging are
historically very recent.

Rainfall where I live is about 90 cm a year, but it is much wetter
near the ocean, and much drier as you move inland.

I think we might have a lot to learn from the historic usage of the
Mediterranean forest, and also from modern forestry techniques in the
area.  Anything you would like to say on the subject would be very
interesting.

-- Larry
Western Oregon, USA (near Roseburg)