Landowner Assistance for Wildlife Habitat Improvement

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Mar 5 05:22:00 EST 1998

TREEFARMER at webtv.net wrote:

> Susan's description of forest services in Missouri sounds like Illinois.

There are many thousands of foresty graduates in America working in
other fields who'd rather be working as foresters. If the state agencies
stoped being "self-serving" bureaucracies - we could be seeing better
career prospects for all those foresters driving taxis.

And I don't mean to say that all the gubmint foresters should resign or
be fired. There is a tremendous need for "forestry missionaries" and
that is the role of the state gubmint forestry agencies; to become more
like Steve Nix of 'Bama with his active participation here and his great
web page; even if we do dissagree on a few things. <G>

Most private forest land in America remains unmanaged. If all those
state foresters put down their tree marking guns and put on their
missioary hats, it would be a great gain for the profession; but there
is a tremendous lack of forestry leadership in America.

Joe