Forester Licensing

JimiFromMI jimifrommi at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 20:48:45 EST 1998

In article <34FD9D99.F77707E0 at forestmeister.com>, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> writes:

>My bitch is that loggers continue to highgrade forests. I think that
>should stop. Full scale mixed forests need silviculture that only a REAL
>forester understands.

Joe!!!!

Does this mean I am a REAL "forester" afterall?  Be careful when using the
terms All, Never, Exclusively, None, Every, .....

While you were hibernating, I responded to a post from what seemed to be the
truely unknowing with regard to his Oak/Hickory forest in the midwest.  I
related the typical situation of forestry management -- (none) or "mother
nature".  I think a logger was knocking on his door.

Maybe I made an incorrect assumption that I was somewhat on track when I
indicated that his slightly "smaller" trees could very likely have been the
losers in the battle for light/nutrients and could have been the same age as
the dominates.  This is typical of many stands that I've been familiar with in
Southern MI.  My suggestion first was to "seek counsel of a forester" (HOW
ABOUT THAT!).  I further indicated that a probable remedy was to initially
harvest the sub-dominants (leaving the dominants -- after all a ring of growth
on a large tree yields a greater increase in lumber than that of a smaller one.
 Sufficiant light will enter the the understory to promote regeneration.  I
think that I even mentioned that the "smaller trees" if of the same age group
would be too old to respond to a release.  His big money harvest most likely
would come with the second cut some 7 or so years down the road.  I think we
successfully thworted a high-grade.

Nobody at that time chewed me a new one, so I think I was on track -- but here
is your chance.  Is this land owner just another idiot, or what?

Waiting on pins and needles and ready to tuck the tail.

jimi

p.s.

Perhaps a diference between you and I is that I believe that I can learn
something from ANYBODY.  The homeless drunk on the street can still teach me a
thing or two.  Open up your mind.