Need info about soil roof on a log house.

Gaetan Mailloux ba221 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Sun Mar 8 22:35:50 EST 1998

 (cyli at visi.com) writes:
> There is a newsgroup (or more) on rural life.  A search engine should
> find them for you.

Hi

My access to the web are difficult and limited, and some in rural
newsgroup may have experience with those kind of house.

> But, first, why, if you've got lots of wood, do you want a soddy style
> roof?  Soddies were for plains dwellers, who didn't have the wood for
> 'proper' walls or roofs and therefore often dug into the side of a
> hill, used rock where they could for walls, and covered it all with
> sod.  If you've got plenty of wood, you should be able to make a deal
> with a nearby lumber mill to rip you planks and take some wood in
> trade and then you could hand split shingles.

A soil roof have a bit of the advantage of the underground house;
"calorific mass", so it store the day's energy from the sun and give back
some of it at night.

Bye

Gaetan