Group Appreciation

Michael Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Mar 10 23:04:58 EST 1998

> > Short sighted management attitudes have resulted in over cutting throughout
> > the continent. Sadly, this lack of vision continues year after year.
> >
> >snip..

> There are no moderators to these groups, more like lion tamers, with
> whip and gun.

In another discussion list I use, (toyotalandcruisers) the moderator steps
ruthlessly on those who don't toe the line. He's rough but effective. The
traffic runs to several hundred posts/day, so order is essential. Flame wars
last about one set of posts. The rules are published and all who participate are
assumed to be adult enough to consent. The result is an amazing community of
experts who help each other and the newbies on a nearly realtime basis. That's
the advantage of a mailing list over the usenet.

 I would like to point out that for at least the
> last two decades the harvest in the US has been less than growth, i.e,
> we are growing more than we are cutting.

Just had a conversation regarding a tree farm I used to know well. When they
clearcut they expected a drastic downturn in the yearly cut and laid off
personel to match. A dip to below 20 mmbf/year was expected to last roughly from
1990 to 2015, then slowly climb back up to normal levels (50-75+mmbf).

Well, due to all the commotion discouraging clearcutting, they thinned instead.
And they've never dropped below 60mmbf. The quality of wood changed, not the
gross.

 There is legitimate debate
> that we are growing plantation wood at the expense of cutting old
> growth.

> The career forester has a bright future, should society ever decide they
> want forests for the next mellinium.
> --

I'd like to believe that and maybe you're right. On the other hand, a prudent
forester had better be able to do more than one thing to make a living.
Generalization is the watchword!