Federal Programs

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Wed Mar 11 14:06:59 EST 1998

The local FSA announced the following, interesting definition of WHIP.

WILDLIFE HABITAT INCENTIVES PROGRAM (WHIP):  WHIP is a program to
privide both financial and technical assistance to manage fish and
wildlife habitat on private and other non-federal lands.  Agreements are
for 10 years and pays up to 75% of the cost for installation.  Eligible
land must be degraded wetland with the capability of being restored to
its formal condition.

STEWARDSHIP INCENTIVE PROGRAM (SIP):  Applications are accepted on a
continuous basis for cost sharing of approved SIP practices.  Practices
may include habitates for fish and wildlife, aesthetics, recreational
opportunities, increased timber supplies and other products.  Cost share
are in the 50% level and may not exceed $10,000.00 per landowner, per
fiscal year.  Practices must be maintained for a minimum of 10 years.

Funny thing, texas gets a couple of hundred thousand a year for SIP,
haven't heard what share of the WHIP we will get, but probably in a
lessor range.  At this time I know of no one on the SIP.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335