need portable sawmill service

bikerbabe in black leather amirza at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Mar 13 11:33:41 EST 1998

In article <6ebkp6$h34$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <mcour at telxon.com> wrote:

>What can I expect to pay per board foot for this service?  My barn design
>doesn't require 5000 board feet, and it might be beneficial to split the
>lumber with the guy operating the mill.  What kind of percentage split is
>reasonable?  If my volume estimates are right, a 50-50 split leaves me with
>some wood to spare after building the barn.  Is this a fair deal for both me
>and the guy operating the mill?  Are there people with mills willing to work
>for a portion of the lumber rather than cash?

Hi there, I do portable milling with a WoodMizer bandsaw mill.

Whether or not they'll cut for shares is up to the individual, some
will, some won't.

I sometimes cut for shares, but how much depends on a lot of factors.

If I'm cutting boards, or quartersawing for the customer, I'll bump it
to 60% my share since those take more time and effort.  If they want a
bunch of poplar or white pine dimensional lumber, 50%.  If they just
want a few large timbers, I may go as low as 40%.

For smaller jobs under 1000bf, I take cash only as it's not worth my
time unless it's a very valuable species.  Sometimes I'll mix cash and
shares, I buy at a rate equal to the going market rate for downed logs
(what I can buy them off a logger for).

At any rate, I cut what I want as larger cants and resaw them later at
my convenience.

>I am also wondering how long I can let the logs sit next to my driveway before
>bringing in someone with a mill to cut them.  I might not have the cash
>available for a year, so would it be better to leave the trees standing until
>I can afford to have them rough sawn?  Are there guys who are willing to fell
>the trees and cut the boards for a percentage of the wood (I'd expect to keep
>30-40% of the wood in this kind of deal)?

I did such a job, I helped the owner fell them.  Mostly poplar,
cutting dimension lumber.  I took 60%.  He skidded them.

With poplar, get in quick, get them milled as fast as possible.  You can
cut them in the fall (when most loggers prefer to work) and mill them
in the spring, but don't let them sit over the summer!  The sooner the
better, even over winter.

Once the are cut and stacked, get in and paint the ends as soon as
possible.  A  cheap latex paint will be fine, though the glue/wax mix
used for sealing the end grain is better (though more $$$).

--
Anmar Mirza #Chief of Tranquility#I'm a cheap date, but an expensive pet.
EMT-D TBTW10#Base, Lawrence Co.  #Road rage is a nice term for "immature."