Best Management Practices

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Mar 13 12:36:35 EST 1998

mcour at telxon.com wrote:

> The loggers are in the 4th day of a two week logging operation on my 5.5 aacre
> parcel.  The contract specifies that they are to follow best management
> practices, and emphasizes this fact in regards to logging roads and stream
> crossings.  The loggers did not install a culvert for the small stream
> crossing, and it is beginning to show problems.  I have reminded the logger of
> this but he has taken no action and the logging continues.
>
> What should I do here?  The contract states that I can suspend the operation
> if the contract terms are not being met.  This seems extreme, but what other
> recourse do I have?
>
> Michael Courtney

Do you have money up front, usually, the use of contractual clauses is
more effective with cash involved.  Are there damage clauses as well?
Does the contract include responsibility for failure to meet the
environemntal concerns of state or fed?

He signed the contract, so shut him down.  Unless you lose money, then
the call is all yours.

Don Staples
UIN 4653335