Best Management Practices

Michael Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Mar 17 11:45:04 EST 1998

Pulling the culvert upon completion of logging is standard in this corner of the
PNW and will of course be different elsewhere.

In WA, cases where damage FROM installing/removing the culvert is judged
excessive, fording is the next alternative. Of course there are conditions:
tracked machines only, no yarding, a limited number of crossings, on hard
bottom,a set time, a set distance away from existing redds and a shut down if
you can't do it right. I didn't say it was easy.

This is with a Hydraulics Permit. Doing any of the above without the Permit
allows you to contribute a bonus to the state treasury, as will using fill to
armor the bottom. I've found that fording sometimes has less impact than a
culvert but each case is unique. Fords suffer from a bad rep which has become
'petrified' in most state's natural resource protection laws.
Mike H