identification needed

David Wuchinich dgwuchinich at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 18 08:48:56 EST 1998

ForestFair wrote:

> David Wuchinich <dgwuchinich at compuserve.com wrote:
>
> >Hiking an abandoned railbed I noticed a tree at the wayside having
> >almost perfectly spherical ornaments pending from its branches.  Colored
> >a very light tan, almost gray with a small hole at bottom, these pods
> >are very fragile and almost paper thin.  In texture and color they
> >resemble a miniature wasp nest.  My casual effort as preservation of a
> >specimen in my jacket pocket was foiled when I crushed the thing fishing
> >for change.  The tree itself was about 10 feet tall, but the pods
> >adhered vociferously in this month of March!  I consulted Peterson's and
> >Aududon's North America guides to no avail.  Location is 45 miles due
> >north of New York City.  Any help appreciated.
>
> They sound like they could be an insect gall, especially since you mention a
> hole at the bottom (which would be  how the insect left the gall when it
> reached the appropriate stage in its development.?
>
> Do you have any idea what kind of tree it was?  How large was the "pod" (or
> gall)?

> Family Forest Fair '98, Oct. 3 & 4, Greenwich NY
> I-87 to Saratoga Springs, Exit 14, west on Route 29

The pods were 1 to 2 inches in diameter and were attached to the limbs
by what appeared to be a stem.  They were quite uniform in appearance,
with very smooth spherical surfaces and were not found on any nearby
tress.

The tree was about 10 to 12 feet in height with dark smooth bark.  No
leaves were left on the limbs.