white pines

Timothy Hunley HUN60 at webtv.net
Wed Mar 18 19:15:26 EST 1998

I believe your problem is due to aphid damage.  I don't know where you
are located but in Ohio this is a common problem yet few recognize the
cause .  The white cotton is usually accompanied by a blackening of the
bark also.

If you inspect the trees early in the morning or later on in the evening
you will not find any aphids, usually only during the main part of the
day.  Severe infestations will kill the tree.

Spraying the tree for aphids will only temporarily solve the problem.
The aphid is herded by an ant colony nearby.  The ants place the aphids
on the trees in the morning and take them off in the evening and return
them underground for the night.  The ants then milk the aphid for food.

Look for active ant hills in the immediate area and kill the ants.
Believe it or not, this will solve your problem.