Need info about soil roof on a log house.

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 13:06:14 EST 1998

>> I would need info about soil roof on a log house.
>>
>> What diameter of pine or spruce log I would need for that kind of roof ?
>> It's a roof of 15 feet large using 15 feet log, and 40 feet long, for a
>> log home, if I use the complete log (not split) stack side by side all the
>> 40 feet long, without space between them, and I would put thick
>> waterproofing and one feet of soil on that log roof.
The wonderful thing about doing it yourself is you can do what you like.
However, do not over engineer.  The more soil, the more water it holds
and water is 10lb a gallon with 6.25 gallons = 1 cubic foot.

You want thin twigs to put in the pits between logs then a mud daub no
more than half an inch thick above the high point of the curve of the
logs made of soil and whatever poo you can find.  (Your own if you
like.)  The smell goes, honest, but cow or horse is fine.  I like the
idea of tar paper, I never thought of that, but the daub is traditional.
You want the horse stuff for fibre or include lots of dry grasses.  On
ships they used rope for caulking.  Anyway, the turf on top can be grown
there or moved there.  Cut 4 foot H shape slits in lawn, roll up from
each side of the bar and cut off.  Add to roof in thatch fashion
starting at the bottom and working up.  I recommend a 40 degree or more
pitch.  Try to slightly overlap the turves which need to be 2 to four
inces thick.  You can also use heather or similar close growing plants
and of course with these you need to mow the roof less often.  The men
of the heaths or heathens used heather and of course they never had to
lift the goat onto the roof.  They did, however, live with them and
other livestock.  Also their houses were cut into the heather and peat
with a roof and no walls.  You lose a lot of heat through walls.  I
recommend, therefore, you double your door to make an airlock along a
tube like in an igloo.

Have fun.

KIND REGARDS FROM:

L             E E E E E E       S S S S S
L             E                S         S
L             E                S S
L             E E E                S S
L             E                        S S
L             E                S         S
L L L L L     E E E E E E       S S S S S

THE AUTHOR OF THE MESSAGE ABOVE IS TERRIBLY CLEVER AND PERFECTLY QUALIFIED
TO GIVE ANY OPINION THAT HE HAS.  NO COPYRIGHT NOTICE IS ATTACHED AS TERRIBLY
CLEVER PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO ISSUE WRITS.  WORDS OF GREAT WISDOM COULD BE
APPENDED TO THIS SIG. BUT THE AUTHOR IS SO VERY CLEVER THAT HE NOW CHARGES
TO PROVIDE THEM AND ONLY REPLIES TO NEWSGROUP POSTINGS FOR HIS OWN AMUSEMENT.

  LES BALLARD, TREE WIZARD, C/O BM: GATES OF ANNWN, LONDON WC1N 3XX, U.K.
                            44+(0)1708 863080