Hurwitz, Pacific Lumber is cutting Headwaters

LRLake lrlake at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 12:27:53 EST 1998

>Subject: Re: Hurwitz, Pacific Lumber is cutting Headwaters
>From: bonbois at aol.com (BONBOIS)
>Date: Sat, Mar 21, 1998 09:43 EST
>
>I won't enter into the culture wars here as I suspect everyone involved has
>firmly closed their minds.
>
>But as far as the title here is concerned--  I'm a working stiff in a small
>company, not part of the corporate structure some seem so paranoid about.
>And
>as far as I'm concerned if Pacific lumber owns and has good title to the
>Headwaters timberland they are entitled to cut every stick of timber there.
>The rights of private property are a fundamental defense from Joe and his
>like,
>who would sanitize the world according to their lights.
>
>Bonbois

I think you missed the point.  I assume, from your post, that you might be a
subcontractor for PL.  I agree with your post, as far as it goes.  However, the
corporate "game" which allowed the change of ownership was partially supported
by public funds (S&L bialout) and has considerably increased the cut on what
was a timber rich enterprise which might have continued forever.

Clearly anyone who works for PL and Scotia and the enterprise itself, cannot
anticipate a long future.  At least not the kind and magnitude of continued
economic benefit  which was possible prior to the takeover.

Do corporations have some public responsibility to remain in business.  Your
absolute private property rights argument is easier for me to embrace for small
ownerships where community viability and stability are less affected.

Lawrence R. Lake
Redding, CA