Mechanical hardwood midstory control

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Mar 23 17:39:06 EST 1998

Would the military constraints on herbicides include individual tree, or
shrub, treatment, such as with an injecter type with herbicide?  Very
selective, very limited in impact on the site, and you can pick and
choose what goes or stays.

Initial burning schedule to control brush will be a burn every 2 to 3
years till stand reflects your goals, then back off and burn every 3 to
5 years, as brush dictates, or rather as over story dictates.  If your
looking towards regeneration of pines you need to consider removing a
bunch of the hardwoods, fire and TSI would be in order, stronger than
indicated. Burning can be rough on your target species.

Barring use of a herbicide, the old Little Beaver girdler would be very
selective and treat the mid to larger stems.

Season depends on method used, girdle spring and summer, herbicide same,
burn according to weather in your part of Gerogia.

This is from Texas, I am sure the folks on the east end of the south can
give better thoughts.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335