Mechanical hardwood midstory control

Mark Feider mfeider at omnifest.uwm.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:29:56 EST 1998

Subject: mechanical hardwood midstory control

Greetings All:
This message seems to have bounced around between a number of lists,
<<<To: Forest Listserver <forest at listserv.funet.fi>
<<<To: TWS-L at LISTSERV.VT.EDU>>>
 including a National Audubon Society list. I noticed that it never made it to
the best forestry discussion group around, leastwise I didnt see it posted
yet.

Anybody got any advice for this person?   Make a copy for the group and then
reply directly to him.

Mark Feider
Waukesha, WI.

From: Lee G 347CES/CEV <gregory.lee at MOODY.AF.MIL>

We are in the process of restoring a native pine forest on our installation
(south-central Georgia, USA) to increase suitable habitat for protected
species (i.e. gopher tortoise and indigo snake).  The stands we are
targeting (app. 90 acres this year) have been excluded for fire for numerous
years, and there is a significant proportion of hardwood midstory in the
stand that cannot be controlled by prescribed burning for various reasons
(i.e. diameter, fuel condition, etc.).  Because of military-imposed
constraints, we cannot control the hardwoods through selective herbicide
treatment.  Therefore, we have proposed a combination treatment of
mechanical removal and hand-felling of the hardwoods to remove the hardwood
midstory component and then plan to institute controlled burning on a 1-3
year rotation.  The mechanical removal we are considering is the shredding
and chipping of all hardwoods in the understory from about 1 inch diameter at
4.5 feet to about 10 inches diameter.  All hardwoods larger than 10 inches
will be retained, with some being removed in the next commercial harvest and
the remainder kept as part of the ecosystem for mast production and
structure variation.  Overall, we are planning on keeping the hardwoods to
less than 10% of the canopy cover in the future stand.  The proposal could
also be termed as a timber stand improvement (release); however, the
remaining trees are mature and little additional growth is anticipated.

We would appreciate any advice anyone could give us on this project,
especially from those who have conducted similar projects in the
southeastern U.S.  We are especially interested in the results from such
projects and any suggestions on equipment, season of work, etc.

Please respond directly to me at gregory.lee at moody.af.mil, and I will post a
summary of responses to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Gregory W. Lee