DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Mon May 4 16:39:19 EST 1998

In article <6id0o9$u33$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote:

>The thing I remember is that it was sometimes visible just at dusk, flying
>like a huge bat.

Great horneds are dimensionally just slightly smaller than great grays, a
lot heavier, and in flying silhouette wouldn't necessariy look different.

Wintering great grays there wouldn't be a great surprise as they show up
sporadically here - post-dispersal young shoved down from the north,
mostly, in poor prey years (there was one in Seattle last winter, along
with the bazillion snowy "Artic" owls that came down).

Nothing you've said is inconsistent with great gray in terms except
geographic locale.

Coincidently, I saw one at Quail Run golf course (central OR) yesterday.
They hunt the short stubble that surrounds the furthest tee that I
think are just used for tournament play, on hole 2.  They ignore people,
we saw it try to take a small mammal about thirty feet from us.

Also saw a bald eagle take a canada goose this weekend, which truly
amazed me.  Must've been a cackler or other small goose, the eagle
was able to (barely) fly away with it still struggling in its talons.

>I'm sure the one I scared from roost was not a Spotted owl: rather a Barn or
>Screech (sorry, don't know scientific name) with rings around the white
>feathered eyes in an outline fashion.

Most certainly barn.

>Yeah, they indicated they wanted to do an autopsy on it. When I saw the
>carcass, it didn't have any obvious injuries like a shotgun or rifle hole. Nor
>did it have damage to the wings or body that I could tell. Washington Fish &
>Wildlife/Ecology both suspected it may have been a fledgling looking for new
>territory, and may have been killed by the other owl.

They're guessing fledgling because nearly all of the spotteds found in
atypical habitat are young of the year, who are unable to score a good
territory due to occupation by older birds which are already part of
a pair.