The Profession of Forestry, Question

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu May 14 19:40:26 EST 1998

In article <35582261.E12EC4F5 at lebmofo.com>,
Ron Wenrich <woodtick at lebmofo.com> wrote:

> Basic forestry has not changed much.  The application has changed.
> Foresters are going to have to realize there are more products in the woods
> besides lumber.  Board foot forestry maybe phasing out.  Plantation forestry
> never caught on in the NE.  I have worked with mill owners who are at least
> 20 yrs behind the times.  As foresters, we can't afford to be behind the
> times, we have to be futurists.  Where do you fit in?

Foresters are pretty good at growing and marketing trees.  I think
it's expecting too much of them to also understand aesthetics, wildlife
management, mycology, herbalism and all the other approaches to
forest management.  Just complying with the legal restrictions on
forest practices while considering the owner's management objectives
is enough.

I know NIPF owners who would never consider hiring a forester, but
who use consultants in other fields, like botany and wildlife biology.
At any given time I can attend half a dozen classes in wildscaping
and wildcrafting, and this is a small town with a timber economy.
Local retail nurseries build an entire business out of selling native
plants, and very few of the plants are trees.

I think the big change is that foresters no longer are the only people
managing forests.  The only place they still are dominant is in the
big industrial stands, and even there they have to work around the
fisheries and wildlife people.

-- Larry