American Chestnut

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Fri May 22 21:59:22 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> Nursery source suggested previously from poster (thanks) indicates a blight
> resistant American Chestnut crossed with Manchurian - Castanea dentata X
> mollissima.  Normal old Castanea dentata is also sold with mention for
> suitability "outside of the native range of chestnut where blight is not a
> factor".  I've had difficulty actually hooking up with a voice at the nursery
> to explain, so I post this question here:
>
> What is "outside the native range of chestnut where blight is not a factor"?
>
> Thanks.

It means outside of the normal range.  Chestnut planted in Oregon, for example,
would be outside the normal range.  Chestnut planted in Ohio would be in the
normal range.  According to the range maps that I have, SE Michigan is inside the
range, but NE LP Michigan is outside the normal range.  However, due to the close
proximity to the normal range, blight may still be a factor.

RDW