Christians for zero cut

Robert G Weinberger rweinber at orednet.org
Wed Nov 4 01:15:56 EST 1998

In a previous article, manager at hereintown.net (Sam White) says:

>Brian, Larry, et. al:
>	First of all, to get a good look on the horrible practices by major
>companies on public lands, pick up the book simply entitled "Clearcut,"
>published in '96 or '97.  Email me for the author(I don't have it on
>hand).
<snip>

Sam,
While the emotional impact of "Clearcut" is undeniable, its portrayal
of the situation is questionable at best. I am personally familiar with
three of the photos cited as showing horrible examples of clearcuts - NONE
OF WHICH ARE ACTUALLY CLEARCUTS.

One is of a large forest fire that burned particularly hot and was not
even salvage logged.

One is of a large brush field that resulted from a forest fire about 1900 and
is being cleared in order to replant trees.

And one contains some regenerated clearcuts (30+' tall reprod)in the
lower right hand corner of the photo, on private land that I manage. These
harvest areas are not discernable in the photo and are not what the
caption is pointing out. The only reason I know that these old clearcuts
are there is that I supervised the planting of them. What the caption decries as
horible clearcuts, fragmenting the forest, on the adjacent Forest Service land
are actually natural openings (wet & dry meadows) and one large unsalvaged
patch of bug-killed timber.

While I can't speak to the veracity of the rest of the publication, my
knowledge of those areas I am intimately familiar with makes me question
the entire book.