more Christians, straw houses

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sun Nov 8 14:14:17 EST 1998

In article <7222jh$hip$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, big_reds at my-dejanews.com
writes:

> It is interesting that despite a supposed 10 to 1 efficiency factor in eating
> grains instead of meat, you can buy steak for less per pound than cereal.  My
> guess is that the ranchers are going broke and the cereal companies are rakin'
> it in.

Actually, for what cattle eat, the efficiency of cattle is better than 1.
There is actually a net gain in available food to the human race by
raising ruminants.

Most feedlots are finishing lots, where the cattle are held for the last
30 to 90 days before slaughter.  They don't actually raise the cattle on
grain.  Instead, they go out west where there is lots of pasture and buy
up range fed cattle for finishing.  If you want to see a real feeding
operation where cattle are held on feed for years, check out a dairy.
They feed mostly non-human food like hay or silage, with some grain
supplements.  However, they still like to raise their replacement cows on
pasture where they can find their own food.

The thing about feeding humanity is a myth made up by the vegans and
PETA.  When other countries buy our grain, it's so they can have
something to feed their animals.  It seems unbelievable to Americans, but
the real dietary shortage in the world is animal fats and protein.  Let
people out of abject poverty and the first thing they buy is a hunk of
meat to toss into the stew pot.

If you factor in energy inputs, beef easily more efficient than grain,
and many times more efficient than irrigated crops.  That's why you can
buy sirloin steak cheaper than broccoli at the supermarket.  That was
sort of the point of my joke about turning in our draft horses for oil
barrels to feed the world, though I may have been a bit obteuse.

On a related note, the voters of California made the sale of horsemeat
illegal at the last election.  I don't know what they think fido and
fluffy are going to do for a meal.  If you really want to feed starving
humanity, poison all the dogs and cats.

It has gotten to the point that the urban population knows even less
about agriculture than they do about forestry.  When their grandparents
left the farm, industrial agriculture didn't exist.

-- Larry