more Christians, straw houses

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Nov 9 01:54:18 EST 1998

In article <725iq6$5qr$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com
writes:

> This strongly suggests another usage for recycling spent straw after growing
> mushrooms on it: animal fodder. Since oyster mushrooms grow on a wide variety
> of substrates, it can also convert those substrates into high protein
> additives with very little roughage. Indeed, it may be necessary to mix the
> mushroom-straw with chopped straw for roughage.

A pretty common process.  Maize seed is refined to extract corn oil, then
fermented to produce ethanol fuel additive, which leaves the protein (and
the added protein from the yeast) for livestock feed.  I'm sure the
pleurotus mycelium masses far more than the mass of the fruit taken off
the harvest.  The mushroom itself is, after all, just the fruit.  The
majority of the plant is underground.

-- Larry