flodding in Central America

Think Wood! mbw at forestsforever.org.uk
Tue Nov 17 03:43:30 EST 1998

Here here,

If it is the case that areas which had been harvested experienced the worst
flooding, then there is surely a case for looking at the rights of land
owners in vulnerable areas.

However, clearing for other forms if agriculture would have the same
effect.

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> When I first heard about the flooding, caused by a hurricane, I
> suspected that the real cause was deforestation. Now I see in the lead
> editorial of my local paper that this in fact was the case. Areas where
> the rain forest was NOT harvested on the hillsides did not get flooded.
>
> But of course, we DARE NOT challenge those SACRED "PROPERTY RIGHTS" of
> those hillside landowners, the local aristocrats; by insisting that all
> logging be done under the direction of professional foresters. Heck no.
> Who cares if thousands died in the flooding. None of the aristocrats
> died, they have their mansions up on safe ground.
>
> --
> Joe Zorzin
> http://forestmeister.com
> z-mail, list server, for the Massachusetts forestry revolution of '98
> read about it at http://forestmeister.com/z-mail.html

   Forests Forever    http://www.forestsforever.org.uk

            Steel doesn't grow on trees!

            Mark Walmsley