Forest Focus - November 16, 1998

John J. Chilcote twojayc at foothill.net
Thu Nov 19 15:06:22 EST 1998

wafcdc at americanlands.org wrote in message
<9bdf81bd&2.2.16.19981116112813.40ef2d2a at pop.igc.org>...
>From: American Lands <wafcdc at americanlands.org>
>
>SIERRA TASK FORCE:  Environmental groups have joined forces to
>create the Ancient Forest Task Force in response to the Quincy
>Logging Rider passed by Congress. The coalition will try to prevent
>permanent damage to the 2.5 million acres of public forest lands in the
>Plumas, Lassen, and Tahoe National Forests targeted for logging.  "We
>still have opportunities to stop this train wreck," said Scott Hoffman
>Black of trhe Sierra Nevada Forest Protection Campaign.  "We can still
>prevent the environmental damage and 70 million dollar taxpayer
>giveaway to Sierra Pacific Industries through the current environmental
>review process, through the courts, and if necessary, timber sale by
>timber sale."  For more information please contact Evelyn Stivers at
>916/442-3155 x216 or sierra_campaign at friendsoftheriver.org
>
>Steve Holmer
>Campaign Coordinator

A snip regarding this issue from the Sacramento (CA) Bee of 11/17/98 -

QUINCY - Planning Forests' Future
    The US Forest Service has scheduled a series of public meetings to help
determine the future of Sierra forests.
    An informational meeting is scheduled from 7 to 9 PM Thursday (11/19/98)
in the Quincy High School Library to discuss the Sierra Nevada Framework for
Conservation and Collaboration, which will amend management plans of 10
national forests in the Sierra.
    Similar meetings are set for Portola on Nov 23 and Oroville on Nov 24,
said Lee Anne Schramel Taylor, a spokeswoman (spokesperson?) for Plumas
National Forest.
    The informational meetings are preparation for a Dec 12 workshop at
which participants can comment about the planning process expected to be
completed next year, Taylor said.
    For further information, contact Taylor at (530) 283-2050.

Steve,

Maybe you should take the time to come get the true story instead of what is
fed to you by the eeek-freaks.  Arne Hultgren's thread added information
about the Quincy Library Group (QLG), so called because the group started as
meetings of locals and burros (to quote the forestmeister) at the local
library.  That group has been very successful as the genesis of true action
to address local concerns for the planning and management of the entire
Sierra Nevada range forests.

Many other groups patterning the QLG design are springing forth up and down
the Sierras.  I belong to one of those off-shoots south of the Quincy area,
the American River Watershed Group (< www.arwg.org >) which encompasses 963
square miles that include a major portion of the Tahoe National Forest.  Our
meetings and results are a fantastic demonstration in collaborative
cooperation among completely diverse opinions.

There are over 70 different organizations, business and local reps currently
involved to the point of securing major grants toward water quality concerns
affecting the Sacramento basin.  This group has been meeting monthly for
several years to work out differences and agreements (MOU's) toward
Coordinated Resource Management Planning (CRMP) for the North and Middle
Fork American River Watersheds.  We have learned the necessity of, and how
to get along together toward obtaining a result that is not necessarily
perfect but definitely obtainable and in a mutual direction of concern.  To
maintain focus and progress, we have also learned to leave certain extreme,
unresolvable  issues of disruptive conflict outside for other, focused
political arenas (there better places to get attention with loud, impurile
tantrums).  It is amazing to see Sierra Clubbers sitting at the same table
and working side-by-side with loggers and commercial interests (not always
in agreement but not one drop of blood shed yet).

As Arne indicates, these forests are not healthy and have to be assisted in
recovering from 150 years of European immigration influence and misguided
intentions that have left excessive fuel-loading levels that now cannot be
reduced naturally without an environmental catastrophe.  Contrary to a lot
of eastern concepts, our Sierra Nevada range is considerably different than
the coastal range.  This is particularly true in the central and southern
portions where a Mediterranean climate prevails with seasonal extremes in
temperatures and moisture.   You cannot apply your hands-off headwaters
yardstick here.

John J. Chilcote, TwoJayCie Services, < twojayc at foothill.net >