save the trees! - headwaters forest pic

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sun Nov 22 10:48:53 EST 1998

Don Baccus wrote:

> In article <3655A68D.C0ADA20A at olympus.net>,
> Mike Hagen  <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
>
> >Its actually pretty hard to get redwood pictures except at a distance.
>
> I've not looked at the photo, but in general to photograph much of a tree
> in a stand with other trees requires the use of VERY wide-angle lenses.  So,
> Staples is right in that assessment.   This doesn't mean he's right in his
> presumption that this was done to exaggerate their importance in the photo
> by perspective distortion.

Biased assumption again, Baccus,  my point was that it appears to be a
second growth forest, not "thousands of years old" and the wide angle
lens accentuates the diameters of the nearby trees, look at the size of
the leaves on the small growth near the two largest stems. Was it done
intentionally are just done and not noted?  I don't care to comment, but
the idea presented by the photo is that this is the "old growth" of the
Headwaters.  The diameter of the stem the young lady is looking at is
about what, 5 feet?, above the butt swell.  Others more familiar with
the management of west coast forests have indicated that the appearance
is of second growth.

My presumption was that it is second growth.

Don Staples
UIN 4653335

<< "Yes, the president should resign. He has lied to the American
people, time and time again, and betrayed their trust.  Since he has
admitted guilt, there is no reason to put the American people through
an impeachment.  He will serve absolutely no purpose in finishing out
his term, the only possible solution is for the president to save some
dignity and resign.">>

 - 12th Congressional District Hopeful William Jefferson Clinton, during
 the Nixon investigations in 1972.