Forest Focus - November 24, 1998

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sun Nov 29 01:45:54 EST 1998

In article <3660846d.0 at news.pacifier.com>, dhogaza at pacifier.com writes:

> Ummm...reading closely, I see that the claim is that $1.2 billion was
> spent on the TIMBER SALES PROGRAM, not the forest service budget in its
> entirety.

That was sort of how the article was written.  In fact, the USFS sold
$1.2 billion in timber, and retained $1.05 billion for administration of
local programs, like reforestation, wildlife habitat enhancement,
biological research, stream bank improvement and road funds.  They
returned approximately $150 million to the general fund.  From the
article, you would think the money was wasted.  It was just spent on
other stuff.

You are right though, that is not the total USFS budget.

> Most of the other stuff you're mentioning aren't part of the timber
> sales program, and are accounted for separately, I believe.

That's where the money went.  Essentially the same article, except
several times as long and with more detail, was published in the News
Review on Friday.  There is some criticism that the funds form little
personal fiefdoms, but that is a matter for public debate.  You can make
just as good a case for allowing individual national forests to manage
funds locally, where administrators can take advantage of local
conditions.

-- Larry