New Poll Shows 69% of Americans Want to End Logging on Public Lands

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Fri Oct 2 09:55:07 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell <larryc at teleport.com> wrote in article
<MPG.107e1db2edc449609899c1 at news.teleport.com>...

> Nope, I was entirely serious.  Oregon alone has national forests that
> add up larger than the whole state of Massachusetts.  What do you want us

> to do with all those trees, Joe?  You east coasters seem to want us to
> have them.  It would only be polite to give us some idea why.
>
> -- Larry

I've often wondered that myself, Larry. There are vast acreages of forests
that 99.9% of Americans will never see. Every year, our forests put on X
amount of growth and produce more and more biomass. There is a limit to how
much biomass a piece of ground can support. Many areas of the West are
already overstocked and unhealthy. A hands off approach is THE worst thing
to do at this time.

As I have said before, there WILL be logging in our National Forests. It is
just up to us Americans to decide whether the tress will be green, brown or
black when they are harvested.
--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now