WALL: David Chain - A Perspective (fwd)

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Oct 3 10:26:43 EST 1998

In article <36156C50.9803015D at olympus.net>, mhagen at olympus.net says...

> You might not believe it but many of the pre-headwaters state owned redwood
> forests on US101 were acquired via private donation.  And they've all got little
> signs saying who the grove is dedicated to. It was a pretty good ploy to
> preserve the groves when the California itself couldn't raise that kind of
> money.  I suspect there may even have been a little competition to see who could
> get the best grove...

Plus, they didn't used to be worth that much.  When I was a kid, you
could still buy milled lumber for $50/M, and the lumber yard threw on a
bunch of extra sticks just to keep your business.

Just remember, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento used to be free
standing forests.  Before the big population boom in California, timber
wasn't worth that much.

-- Larry