WALL: David Chain - A Perspective (fwd)

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Oct 3 15:36:25 EST 1998

In article <361663FD.66E7A8CA at forestmeister.com>,
redoak at forestmeister.com says...

> Los Angelas was no forest; it's always been semi-arid.

Don't be dense, Zorzin.  Of course it was a forest, it was just a
thousand miles north of its current location.  Los Angeles was the last
generation's answer to the question of what to do with all those trees.

> And I believe San Francisco was mostly a huge sand dune. Sacramento was
> in the midst of swamp land.

The same applies.  The biggest threat to forests is urban sprawl.  If it
weren't for San Francisco hot tubs, nobody would be interested in a bunch
of redwoods in the back country.  FYI, that's the reason Headwaters is
still there.  It wasn't worth logging until now.

> Heck, I know that and I'm a Yankee! <G>

You really gotta get out more.  I know you don't care what happens to the
trees you sell, but that level of obliviousness is truly astonishing.
Where do you put your forest on the Right Coast after you cut them down?

-- Larry